Friday 18 October 2013

Gerrard Speakes on England Team, World Cup and Liverpool FC

Captain of both Liverpool FC and England National Team, Steven Gerrard spoke on his country qualified for next year's FIFA World cup and his memories related with tournament. 

The 33 year old said, “My best memory of a World Cup I think was when I was 10 when I watched my first one. I watched Gascoigne and saw the lads get to the semi-finals and to within ­inches of the final in 1990. That’s when my dream started that I wanted to be an England player and go to the World  Cup.Unfortunately, as a player I’ve not had similar memories to what the lads had at Italy in 1990."


Steven Gerrard.jpg

“It always comes back to the game when England went out. They’re the memories because they’re the last ones. When you’ve gone out on penalties it is ­always a bad feeling and everyone wants to improve on that quarter-final."

“That’s the hurdle we’ve struggled to get over. That’s why I keep giving out the ­message that we need to improve and get stronger if we’re to get over that hurdle.The World Cup is the ultimate ­tournament. It is tough – but I’m hoping this time we’ll surprise a few people. This is my last opportunity to play in a World Cup." he admitted.

To go there as an England player is ­always special. But to play in Brazil will be a pinnacle and 
hopefully we can go there and surprise a few people” said the England international. Gerrard scored the goal against Poland on Tuesday to claim top spot for England in Group H and thereby earning the spot at 2014 summer’s finals.



"It’s usually joy and excitement but this time it was more of a relief knowing that the job’s done and we’re all going to Brazil. It was a nice feeling."

While praising the England manager Roy Hudson, he said, “Roy trusts his players. He gives us space and free time but when we work, we work hard. And if he sees anyone ­slacking he’s on us like a ton of bricks, which is the right way to do it. The ­important thing now is that people don’t get carried away and start putting us as ­favorites, thinking everything is fine and we’re a fantastic team."

“My experience going into World Cups is people talking about golden generations and of us being one of the favorites  this is going to be our year and stuff like that. But that only creates unfair pressure. It’s a very tough tournament and I think this time people will be more realistic. We certainly will be. We know we’re a good team but we need to improve.”

He also spoke about his club Liverpool FC and himself. “I am the captain of my boyhood team, I have a special relationship with staff and supporters. There is a bond there. I’ve never made decisions financially. I make them with my heart – and that’s why I haven’t moved on."

“My only regrets are the times I’ve had lows at Liverpool. You’re letting the fans down. That’s hard. You’ve let people down. But I find I have learned more from the lows. The feelings the fans go through at the end of a match – I feel them too. There’s a lot at stake every time I pull on a shirt for Liverpool. I’d never say never about our ­chances of winning the Premier League title. But if I’m being honest, that’s not the aim.

“The aim is for a top-four place – and to finish above Everton.” said Anfield Star.

No comments:

ShareThis